Apr 20, 2009

Miss California Deserves a BIG Round of Applause

I wandered onto Yahoo.com's website and was intrigued by this headline: "Miss USA judge Perez Hilton says that Miss California's answer to his question lost her the title." I clicked it to find out more.  Here's what was said:
Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton may have been crowned Miss USA 2009 on Sunday, but on Monday, it was Miss CaliforniaMiss California Carrie Prejean's answer to a question about same-sex marriage from celebrity blogger and pageant judge Perez Hilton that was the night's biggest story.
During the show, Perez asked Carrie, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"
"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and in, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," Carrie said to a mix of boos and applause. "No offense to anybody out there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be between a man and a woman."
Carrie's answer to the hot button question cost her the crown - at least according to Perez.

"The way miss California answered her question lost her the crown, without a doubt!" Perez told Access Hollywood after the pageant."Never before that I'm aware of has a contestant been booed at Miss USA."
As I finished reading this while sitting in our room, I literally started to clap out loud.  What a solid individual.  Despite all the pressure to be politically correct, she stuck true to her values.  What better person than her to represent the great state of California, which also recently passed Proposition 8 despite numerous attacks from Hollywood.  I searched around a little more, and found these statements from Miss California after the pageant:
"My sister is a second lieutenant in the Air Force and she is a gay rights activist."
Her sister, she added, is not gay. 
"No. She supports gay people, she supports gay marriage. My beliefs have nothing to do with my sister or my mom, or whatever." 
"She was just in my hotel room and she said, 'Sis, I'm not offended by anything that you said. We have two different opinions and I love you because of it. I love you because you stood up for what was right, and it's not a matter of being gay or not gay, it's a matter of you competing for Miss USA and getting a question and answering it to the best of your ability." 
"It did cost me my crown," Carrie told Billy, who co-hosted the ceremony, on Monday. "I wouldn't have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that's all I can do." 
"It is a very touchy subject and he is a homosexual and I see where he was coming from and I see the audience would've wanted me to be more politically correct," she added. "But I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything." But her sister has different beliefs. 
"She has her own views," Carrie said. "She's a 22-year-old woman who's in the Air Force who's extremely educated. She debates with my dad all the time about it. That's what's so great about being an American - we're able to have our own opinions."
I know nothing at all about this woman except this one incident.  Regardless, the world needs more courageous people like Carrie Prejean.



http://omg.yahoo.com/news/perez-hilton-the-way-miss-california-answered-her-question-lost-her-the-crown/21528?nc
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/miss-california-my-sister-is-a-gay-rights-activist/21521?nc

No comments:

Post a Comment