Jul 22, 2008

Running

One of the things I love most about running is you have a lot of time to think.  It's not like other sports where you have to really focus on what you're doing.  You just put one foot in front of the other, and go.  I don't know, maybe it is like that for people in other activities, but running sure does it for me.

I found out today that slow rock music is not a good motivator to me to run faster.  I often find myself subconsciously running to the pace of the music I'm listening to.  Prior to the start of my run, I put a couple tracks on my playlist that had a pretty slow beat to them.  Bad idea.  It's not that I need some heavy metal, head bangin' music.  Even something like Jack Johnson or CCR will usually work fine at getting me in a good running rhythm.

I thought about going to the gym earlier to run on the treadmill, but on my way there decided to just run outside instead.  I started running laps around a large field close to our apartment, which also included one main walkway that leads to our apartment complex.

At least a couple dozen people saw me running.  This is what I love about running, though.  Nobody knows how long you've been running for.  Although I was sweating profusely (I was drenched after just one lap), and going at a slow leisurely pace, for all these people knew I was on my 100th lap around that field.  Just to top it off, I would intentionally avoid eye contact with the people I didn't know; the image of a seeing someone run with complete disregard to their surroundings has always seemed very 'in the zone' to me.  Hopefully the discomfort on my face didn't expose me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment